Sunday, May 16, 2010

One by Metallica

I can't remember anything
Can't tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside I feel the scream
This terrible silence stops it there

Now that the war is through with me
I'm waking up, I cannot see
That there's not much left of me
Nothing is real but pain now

Hold my breath as I wish for death
Oh please god, help me

Back in the womb it's much too real
In pumps life that I must feel
But can't look forward to reveal
Look to the time when I'll live

Fed through the tube that sticks in me
Just like a wartime novelty
Tied to machines that make me be
Cut this life off from me

Hold my breath as I wish for death
Oh please god, wake me

Now the world is gone I'm just one
Oh god, help me

Hold my breath as I wish for death
Oh please god, help me

Darkness imprisoning me
All that I see
Absolute horror
I cannot live
I cannot die
Trapped in myself
Body my holding cell

Landmine has taken my sight
Taken my speech
Taken my hearing
Taken my arms
Taken my legs
Taken my soul
Left me with life in hell



This song is from 1988 and is off Metallica's album "...And Justice For All". It is about a soldier who was injured by a landmine during a war (the music video shows it to be World War II) and it has "taken" his sight, speech, hearing, limbs and soul. He is kept alive by breathing and feeding machines, and feels trapped within his body, in a kind of living death. He cannot move or speak, and constantly wishes for death to come, which his doctors won't grant him. The song was inspired by anti-war films, and the music video is composed partly of such films. Structurally, there are four verses of four lines each as well as four two-line choruses. At the end of the song there are two seven-line stanzas which contain listing in the fourth and fifth lines of the first of these stanzas and the second to sixth of the second of them. The rhyme scheme for each verse is AAAB, with the exception of the first one in which only the second and third lines rhyme. Personification is used several times, such as in the last line of the first verse and the first line of the last stanza. He refers to a landmine as taking things away from him, which makes it seem as though he is bitter and resentful about the war and angry about what it did to him. Repetition is also used in the chorus, which hammers home the fact that he is unhappy in his current state and wants to be free of his life, so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment